Are you doing Dry January?
You may have taken on the challenge of going alcohol free for a whole month on New Year’s Day or you might’ve started a bit later, it doesn’t matter! A challenge is a challenge and a month is a month.
To help you on this journey, check out our delightful range of alcohol-free hampers - you'll find alcohol free drinks and artisan delicacies to snack on!
But first, where does Dry January comes from?
- Dry January actually goes way back to World War 2! It was the Finnish government who, in 1942, urged the troops and the people to cut back on alcohol at the start of the year to save national resources. It turned out to be a very successful campaign.
It took several decades for the movement to spread across Europe.
Modern-day Dry January appeared in the 2000s.
In 2013 a UK organisation known as Alcohol Change (alcoholchange.org) hosted the 1st official Dry January. Alcohol Change is a charity that aims to reduce the harm that alcohol causes.
The charity offers information, advice and support on all alcohol issues.
Since then the challenge has spread internationally and is particularly popular in Canada and the U.S.
If you’ve started the challenge OR you’re a late starter you’ll want hear the benefits of doing it and you’ll need plenty of encouragement, so here we go!
Benefits of a month alcohol-free:
- Brighter skin.
- Feeling fresher in the morning.
- Better sleep (alcohol interferes with deep sleep).
- A calmer mind.
- You’ll modify your drinking for the rest of the year.
- Lower blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Lower risk of diabetes.
- Lower levels of cancer-related proteins in the blood.
(Did you know, alcohol is linked to more than 60 health conditions?!)
According to Alcohol Change:
86% of Dry January participants save money.
70% have better sleep.
66% have more energy.
And 175,000 people signed up to the official challenge in 2023!
Sounds great but you’re not sure you can do it?
You’re not alone in wondering if you’ll be able to stick to it.
Try these tips to help you:
- Download Alcohol Change’s app, Try Dry. The official Dry January’s organisation say you’re twice as likely to succeed if you use this! All the info and support you need is here.
- Do it for charity. Doing something for others is a great motivator. Donate the savings you make to charity or get sponsors.
- Build a strong social network around you. Making yourself accountable helps. Tell people you’re doing it. Join online groups. Connect with others doing it for support and advice.
- Write about it. Keeping a diary about how it’s going and your thoughts and feelings helps some people.
- Find a substitute to drink. There are plenty of tasty alcohol-free alternatives out there – wine, beer , gin, mocktails….Or switch to a soft drink. Try new ones, treat yourself, make it more exciting/ interesting. Try exotic teas. Use a different glass – anything to make it more appealing!
- Eat every 3 or 4 hours. If your blood sugar gets low it’s harder to say no to an alcoholic drink.
- Have a protein-afternoon snack. This will help stop the alcohol cravings later on. Nuts, cheese, protein bars are good.
- If you’re a creature of habit, busy yourself around the time you’d normally have a drink. Distract yourself. Go for a walk, go to the gym, go shopping. Apparently the average craving lasts for just six minutes! Or have that substitute drink.
- Remind yourself why you’re doing this. We’ll all have our own reasons for doing it. Keep that motivation.
- And don’t be hard on yourself. If you haven’t managed 31 days completely alcohol-free, don’t beat yourself up. Not every participant manages the full 31 days. Use it to reflect instead. Just do your best, using every tool you have.
We hope these tips are helpful.
We’re all familiar with Dry January now, thanks to social media. People are keen to discuss the pros and cons and support platforms are increasing BUT, like all challenges, there are going to be ups and downs.
Why not treat yourself (or someone you know) to make your alcohol-free journey a little easier?
We have a great range of alcohol- free luxury hampers awaiting you! Packed with mouth-watering artisan savoury and sweet treats, they’ll satisfy every craving! Try our award-winning Sparkling Elderflower Presse – a delightful tipple from Perthshire.
Carefully packed, beautifully presented and delivered with your personal message.
Dry January just became easier and tastier!