Read time: 6 mins.
Though often seen as a British experience, many of New York’s afternoon tea establishments take inspiration from Japan, China, India, and even Russia.
But if you are looking for a traditional British-style afternoon tea, there are still plenty of places to choose from.
There are no set rules as to what must be included in a British afternoon tea, but they usually consist of:
- A selection of finger sandwiches (usually featuring cucumber, coronation chicken, and smoked salmon with cream cheese)
- Fresh plain or raisin scones with clotted cream and preserves
- A variation of cakes and pastries
- A pot of tea (often chosen from an extensive tea menu)
Whether you’re an expat missing a taste of home, a lover of English tea and cakes, or simply want to see what all the fuss is about, going out for an afternoon tea can be a truly satisfying experience.
New York’s afternoon tea spots have each made their own mark on the British pastime.
There are places to enjoy afternoon tea with kids, trendy spots for afternoon tea with cocktails, and extravagant settings for special occasion afternoon teas.
So, whatever your budget or occasion you can still enjoy some of the best afternoon tea NYC has to offer.
Here are our top 10 suggestions for where to have afternoon tea in New York:
Best for: a fun, themed afternoon tea with friends
- A whimsical tea house with aesthetic décor that makes afternoon tea suitable for everyday enjoyment
- Enjoy an Alice in Wonderland afternoon tea New York style featuring unlimited tea, scones with preserve and cream, sandwiches, and mini cookies
- Feeling totally famished? Opt for The Jabberwocky afternoon tea with unlimited tea, scones, and sandwiches
- Choose from their tea list featuring over 100 different types of tea
- Open: Mondays to Fridays 11am – 6pm, Saturdays & Sundays 10am – 6pm
From $36pp |”Tipsy Tea” from $47pp
Best for: a proper British cup of tea
- A cozy traditional British restaurant with charming teapots and floral tablecloths
- Experience a classic British afternoon tea in this traditional British restaurant including scones with clotted cream and preserves, freshly baked homemade cakes, and a pot of steaming hot tea
- Try their own Tea & Sympathy English Breakfast tea, traditionally English Earl Grey, or their special blend Rosie Lee, a mix of Earl Grey, Darjeeling, Ceylon & Assam
- Want to try some more British treats? Head to their shop next door to take home some British crisps, chocolates or a bag of Nicky’s scone mix
- Open: Mondays to Fridays 11am – 9pm, Saturdays & Sundays 9.30am – 9pm
From $45pp | Champagne afternoon tea for two $95
Best for: a 5 star afternoon tea experience in a luxury setting
- Treat yourself to an award-winning afternoon tea surrounded by high ceilings and a stain-glass dome in The Plaza’s Palm Court
- Try a rare tea from their exclusive tea collection which features their special “1927” blend, created to mark the year that the hotel was completed
- Enjoy fabulous British pastries from Battenberg’s to Victoria Sponges, with a selection of British sandwiches and freshly baked scones
- Bring the kids along for The Palm Court’s London kid’s afternoon tea featuring a pastry London Eye, Big Ben, and London Red Bus alongside bite-size sandwiches, and freshly baked scones
- Vegetarian afternoon teas can be provided
- Open: Daily 2pm – 6pm
From $49pp | Afternoon tea with Pommery Champagne Brut Royal from $59pp
Best for: a luxury afternoon tea experience fit for a royal
- Feel as though you’ve been transported to a royal palace with this magnificent afternoon tea experience set in the hotel’s glamorous Grand Salon
- Baccarat is known for creating crystal for the royal households, a high-quality elegance which they’ve brought into their afternoon tea experience, with scones, pastries, and sandwiches served on crystal plates
- Enjoy a tea selection crafted by their very own Tea Sommelier, Gabrielle Jammal
- Looking for an afternoon tea for kids? Their Petit Prince tea features savories, sweets, and a warm homemade scone
- Gluten free afternoon tea is available upon request
- Open: Daily 12pm – 4pm
From $140pp | Afternoon tea with Champagne from $165pp
Best for: afternoon tea in the ultimate luxurious setting
- Immerse yourself in the opulence of The Gallery’s hand-painted deep red wallpapers and fringed velvet chairs inspired by the sultan’s dining room at Turkey’s Topkapi Palace
- The Carlyle’s afternoon tea with a twist features classically British finger sandwiches, pastries, and scones alongside Hudson Valley Foie Gras and homemade pâté presented on a traditional cake stand
- Can’t manage a full afternoon tea? The hotel offers an a la carte afternoon tea menu from which you can choose tea sandwiches, English scones, or pastries
- Open: Daily 3pm – 5.30pm
From $65pp | Imperial afternoon tea with Champagne from $85pp
Best for: a cozy Sunday afternoon tea with friends
- Choose from The Classic, The Grand Vanderbilt, and The Grand Heights’ afternoon teas featuring freshly baked scones, finger sandwiches, and sweets
- Enjoy their afternoon tea Brooklyn style, a combination of low and high teas, in a relaxing setting
- Sit back in their cozy antique chairs surrounded by charming trinkets
- Vegetarian and gluten free afternoon teas can be provided with at least 48 hours’ notice
- Open: Fridays 12pm – 3pm, Saturdays & Sundays 10am – 3.30pm
Best for: afternoon tea with a view
- A British export from London’s Chelsea, Bluebird is bringing the best of British to NYC
- Choose from their Classic Tea, Bubbles & Tea, or G & Tea afternoon tea experiences
- Savory lover? Their seasonal afternoon tea features sandwiches, quiche, and cherry scones for fans of all things savory, as well as the usual sweet pastries
- Sit back and enjoy the stunning view of Columbus Circle and Central Park
- Open: Fridays to Sundays 12pm – 3pm
From $55pp | Afternoon tea with sparkling wine from $60pp
Best for: an extravagant afternoon tea for a special occasion
- Served in the hotel’s stylish Ty Bar, The Four Season’s afternoon tea includes both sweet and savory afternoon tea offerings
- The warm and sophisticated space is a perfect spot for a romantic afternoon tea date
- Their extravagant menu features smoked salmon roulade with Ostera Caviar, Cucumber brie on pumpernickel, and lemon tart with basil meringue
- Looking for an afternoon tea with cocktails? Try their floral and fruity tea-infused gin cocktails
- Open: Daily 2pm – 5pm
From $75pp | Afternoon tea with Champagne from $95pp
Best for: an afternoon tea party
- A restaurant and tearoom bringing an elegant European feel to the big apple with its antique furnishings and crystal chandeliers, as well as a charming tea garden
- Enjoy their savory pinwheels of oak smoked Scottish salmon and goat cheese tartelettes alongside warm scones and a selection of tea cakes
- Feeling hungry? Their new high tea features all the afternoon tea treats along with an entrée
- Planning a big event? Their afternoon teas to go can cater for up to 20 guests
- Open: Tuesdays to Sundays 12pm – 4pm
From $29.95 | Champagne or Prosecco afternoon tea from $39.95pp
Best for: a relaxing afternoon tea
- A chic tearoom serving a traditional afternoon tea with a modern twist
- Experience their 5-course tea service with a classic cup of English breakfast or Earl Grey alongside sandwiches, sweets, scones, and more
- Sit back and relax in the peaceful ambiance with friendly service, cozy armchairs, fireplaces, and antiques
- Open: Thursdays to Fridays 1pm – 4pm & Saturdays to Sundays 12pm – 5pm
From $65pp | Afternoon tea with Champagne cocktails from $79pp
Those are some of our best afternoon tea in New York spots.
Did we miss one of your favorite afternoon tea places in New York? Let us know on our social channels!
If you’d like to treat a friend or loved one to a taste of afternoon tea from the UK, why not try one of our British afternoon tea gift baskets?
Our British afternoon tea gifts are available for international gift delivery to NYC in as little as 2 working days.
And if you’ve enjoyed this blog, don’t forget to share it!