Read time: 6 mins.
Did you know that the UK buys one-third of all the vegan alternatives sold in Europe?
Our consumption rates of vegan products are also the highest in Europe so it’s no surprise that the vegan foodie scene has taken off in recent years.
The North of England is home to some of the country’s most popular vegan restaurants, taking inspiration from cuisines across the world.
There are nourishing vegan restaurants for brunch, romantic vegan restaurants for date night and light and welcoming plant-based cafes.
Want to know where are the best vegan restaurants in your area? Here are some of our favourites…
We recommend for: a vegan brunch with friends.
Cuisine: Multinational plant-based favourites.
- An independent family-run café with a trendy Instagrammable interior
- A focus on using locally sourced produce and eco-friendly packaging to create a sustainable and tempting experience for the mind, body and soul
- Highlights include their nourishing earth bowls, toasties, and vegan breakfasts
- Bring your pooch along – they’re dog friendly!
- Much of their menu can be made gluten free
- Open: Mondays to Saturdays 9.30am – 5pm & Sundays 9.30am – 4pm
Colourful and nutritious, The Vibe’s feel-good Earth bowls are not to be missed.
We recommend for: a relaxed Saturday catch-up meal with a friend.
Cuisine: Vegan healthy eating.
- A relaxed café making vegan favourites and new flavours from scratch using the freshest ingredients
- Their aim is to make plant-based eating enjoyable and interesting and to showcase the healing powers of good food
- All menu items are refined sugar free, oil-free, preservative free and gluten free excluding their bread, tortillas, and corn shells
- Choose from their smaller plates, mains and desserts or try one of their supercharged juices and smoothies
- Highlights include their Alkaline burger with homemade kimchi, their Thai Buddha bowl and for dessert lovers, their acai bowls
- Open: Tuesdays 11.30am – 4pm, Wednesdays, Thursdays & Fridays 11am – 4pm & Saturdays 11am – 5pm
We recommend for: a hearty vegan refuel whilst exploring the lakes.
- A friendly and welcoming plant-based bistro located by the river Greta in Keswick
- Enjoy the homely vibe with great views of the local scenery from both their indoor and outdoor seating
- Highlights include their moving mountains burgers, Poke bowls and plant-based cakes and bakes available for takeaway
- Many of their menu items are or can be made gluten free
- Open: Thursdays to Saturdays 12pm – 8.30pm & Sundays 12pm – 4pm