Read time: 5 mins.
Did you know that orange carrots only became commonplace in the UK in the 17th century? Before that, carrots were mostly yellow, white or even purple!
But nowadays the mutant orange carrot has become a staple side to the classic Sunday roast.
And what’s better than a filling Sunday lunch with all the trimmings to celebrate a special occasion?
If you’re looking for a new spot for a roast dinner in London, then look no further.
We’ve curated a list of some of London’s best roasts for you to try.
There are beef, chicken, lamb, pork and vegan roasts aplenty in London – but where are the best roast spots? Photo by Jeremy Keith via Creative Commons.
Here are our top 10 Sunday roasts in London:
“A quality roast that’s great for sharing”
- An independent 19th-century gastropub with a relaxed ambience.
- Serving feasting-style dishes that are made to be shared.
- Choose from half a spit roast chicken, roasted pork belly, pork chop, aged Hereford rump or an overnight braised lamb to share, all served with roast potatoes.
- Or for one, try their charred courgette with braised chickpeas or lamb leg with piattone beans.
- Sides include sage and lemon roasted potatoes, braised greens and bitter leaves.
- If you’ve any room left, try one of their brilliant desserts such as their spiced rhubarb cake and fool or burnt hazelnut custard.
- Vegan and vegetarian options are available.
- Open for Sunday lunch from 1pm to 4pm.
“An extravagant roast using only the finest ingredients”
- A restaurant located in the historic Floral Hall above Borough Market.
- Serving contemporary British food using seasonal ingredients sourced from the Lake District.
- Choose from old spot pork belly, half roast cob chicken, 48-day dry aged roast beef, roasted Cumbrian Chateaubriand and more.
- Sides include rosemary and garlic roast potatoes, truffle cauliflower cheese and buttered greens.
- To finish off, their dessert selection includes an artisan British cheeseboard, sticky toffee pudding and pear and stem ginger crumble.
- Vegan, vegetarian and gluten free roast options are available.
- Open Sundays 11.45am to 6.30pm.
Roast is located above London’s iconic Borough Market. Photo by WordRidden via Creative Commons.
“A luxury roast accompanied by a friendly and attentive service”
- A relaxed and cosy award-winning Gastropub.
- Their menu has been crafted using local and sustainable produce, as well as all the trimmings.
- Choose from Angus beef rump, lamb leg, cashew nut wellington, half spatchcock chicken and more.
- Each Sunday roast is served with roasted beef fat potatoes, carrots and turnips with honey mustard butter, spring greens, sprouting broccoli, Yorkshire puddings and gravy.
- For dessert, there’s pistachio tart, Pannacotta, ricotta and lemon cake and other sweet delights.
- Vegan and vegetarian roast options are available.
- Kitchen open Sundays 12pm to 9.30pm.
“A filling roast in a lively atmosphere”
- An almost 300-year-old gastropub situated on Hackney’s Broadway Market providing traditional offerings and weekend music sessions.
- Choose from the 28-day roast sirloin beef, half a roast chicken, a leg of lamb or a mushroom and cashew nut wellington.
- Served with garlic and rosemary roast potatoes, lemon and parsley roasted carrots, broccoli, roasted hispi cabbage, a Yorkshire pudding and red wine gravy.
- Sides include cauliflower cheese, pigs in blankets, sage and onion stuffing and additional Yorkshires.
- Vegetarian, gluten free and plant-based roast options are available.
- Kitchen open Sundays 12pm to 8pm.
The Cat & Mutton is just off London Fields in Hackney. Photo by Ewan Munro via Creative Commons.
“A satisfying roast with sweeping views of the Thames”
- A relaxed and friendly pub with a Victorian interior with views across the Thames.
- Choose from roast chicken with bread sauce, roast beef with horseradish cream, roast pork belly with Bramley apple sauce, a decadent trio of roasts featuring pork belly, chicken and beef or a vegan wellington.
- All served with traditional roast potatoes, grilled hispi cabbage, maple roasted carrots and parsnips, a Yorkshire pudding and gravy.
- Sides include cauliflower cheese, tenderstem broccoli and triple-cooked chips.
- Vegetarian and vegan roast options are available.
- Open Sundays 12pm to 9.30pm.
“A meat lover’s fantasy”
- A centrally located gastropub specialising in game dishes.
- A focus on using seasonal and sustainable British produce from artisan suppliers to create dishes that are full of flavour.
- Choose from Somerset free-range chicken with sage stuffing, roast Tamworth pork belly or 45-day aged Longhorn beef.
- All served with Yorkshire pudding, duck fat roast potatoes, seasonal vegetables and rotisserie gravy.
- Desserts include a British cheeseboard, baked vanilla cheesecake and a dark chocolate tart.
- For vegans and vegetarians, their Sunday menu also features a plant-based flamed cauliflower steak.
- Open Sundays 11am to 11pm.