You’ve heard it said many times, ‘let’s have lunch alfresco!’. Here in Britain, we use this Italian word to mean ‘outdoors’ and ‘eating outdoors’. In Italy it means ‘in the cold/cool’ and it’s not actually used to refer to eating outside. Anyway, over here we love the happy word – it’s associated with summer and relaxation!
As a nation we grab any chance we can to eat outside….
We eat at markets, farmers’ markets, in pub gardens, beach cafes, river cafes, roof top cafes and we picnic where we can.
Can you guess our favourite alfresco experience? Yep, it’s the BBQ! Here in the UK, BBQs and other alfresco eating occasions are thought of as indulgences and treats, on a par with dinner parties.
Our top five hampers for alfresco dining
At the British Hamper Company, we have a wide selection of hampers specially designed for a memorable alfresco dining experience. Here are our top five:
An impressive picnic hamper basket filled with delicious food from leading artisan producers. Enjoy Prosecco, Pimm's, cheese, salami and smoked salmon, followed by a traditional cream tea and beautiful Victoria sponge. An absolute feast!
Everything you need for a luxurious picnic – we offer wicker picnic basket delivery nationwide.
A particularly tasty assortment of artisan savoury produce. It includes Yorkshire smoked salmon, salami, Lincolnshire Poacher cheese, savoury biscuits, crisps and chutneys.
Ideal for as a picnic hamper for two or a gourmet Staycation lunch.
Presented in a traditional wicker picnic basket this is a grand collection of award winning British artisan picnic treats. Smoked salmon, Dorset salami, Godminster vintage cheddar, chutney, a delicious selection of savoury nibbles AND a collection of afternoon tea picnic treats!
A well balanced delightful summer hamper containing sublime Godminster Vintage Cheddar, South African chenin blanc, Caliterra ruby red merlot and a delicious selection of savoury and sweet treats. Something for everyone!
Our weekend away gifts can be delivered to your holiday accommodation.
Delightful and delicious – while away the afternoon with Pimm's, wonderful cake and shortbread and a cream tea served with traditional Lincolnshire breakfast tea.
Host a quintessentially British afternoon with this afternoon tea hamper – one of our most popular afternoon tea gifts.
What a treat it is to receive a ready made picnic. The stress of shopping for those individual items, gone!
Just pick your time and place, lay out that rug and enjoy.
Did you know these interesting facts about British weather? (not that we're wanting to put you off dining alfresco!)
- Thunderstorms are most common in the East Midlands, East Anglia and the S.E. of UK
- These above places are also the driest and warmest.
- The UK’s windiest place is Shetland with an average windspeed of nearly 17mph!
- The wettest place on record is Honister Pass, Cumbria. In December 2015 1cm fell in one day.
- The longest lasting rainbow ever recorded in the UK was in 1984 in Sheffield. It lasted 6 hours.
- The sunniest spot is considered to be Eastbourne, Sussex.
- Scotland gets the most snow – 38.1 days a year.
- Cornwall has the least – around 7.4 days of snow/sleet a year.
- The highest recorded temperature is 38.7 deg Celsius – Cambridge Botanic Gardens 2019.
- The lowest recorded temperature is -27.2 deg Celsius – Braemar, Scotland in February 1895 and in Altnaharra, Scotland in December 1995.
- Spring 2020 broke the record for the sunniest spring (just as we were all in Lockdown!).
And to finish - here are some fun BBQ Facts!
- In 2020 UK became the leading BBQ European nation, hosting about 150m BBQs . 15m of these were over the 2020 Easter Bank Holiday!
- The average number of BBQs held per family during the summer has risen from around 2.5 ten years ago to over 10.3 now! Think lockdowns and restrictions have had something to do with this!
- 47% of the grilling is done by women compared with 53% men (was 57% in 2019)
- Hooded BBQs are now the most popular.
- Gas remains the most popular at 47% but charcoal is still there at 43%.
- Here in the UK, BBQs and other alfresco eating occasions are thought of as indulgences and treats and are likened to dinner party experiences.
- It is thought that around 250,000 people in the UK barbeque their Christmas Dinner!
Head online to view our collection of summer hampers designed for alfresco enjoyment:
Browse our Gourmet Picnic Hampers
Browse our Staycation Hampers
Browse our Afternoon Tea Hampers